Friday, February 24, 2012

got exactly 250 words?

Syd rocked it brilliantly in this fine example of 3 part structure!


The prompt was:
Write a short-short or sudden fiction of 250 words or less (not one word longer) that has a beginning, middle, and end. Mark for yourself the number of words in your beginning, your middle, and your end and see if you can use 60, 130, and 60 words per section (25%/50%/25%). Use the number three in the story in some way, shape, or form. 


     I thought today would be normal when I woke up. But I guess you always start out feeling that way on the worst days. Abby was on the floor playing with the TV on when the man came. There was a knock at the door and I saw the gun in his hand through the smeared glass window pane.
I lifted her off the ground and grabbed both our coats, telling her to be very quiet. I only said it once, but she understood. He rapped at the door but we were already out the back, Abby in my arms. I ran as fast as I could down the block toward the subway station, punching Dad’s number into the emergency phone. I’d never used it before. I felt my throat close and my eyes smart when he didn’t answer. When he’d given me the phone, he said if he ever got a call on it, he would answer. I thought of the man with the gun and choked back tears for Abby’s sake. Once we were on the train, I wondered if I‘d ever see my father again.
“What’s wrong, Piper?” Abby asked. I gave her my best smile and said we were going to see Grandpa. I held her close for hours. Then we got off and walked the familiar blocks to Grandpa’s house. I handed my baby sister to Grandpa when he opened the door.
“She’s only three,” he said incredulously. 
“I know. So take care of her.”

-- Syd Cordero


Paragraph 1=59 words
Paragraph 2=129 words
Balance of the story=62 words

Three cheers!

Posted by Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment