Monday, April 23, 2012

Got Books You Love?

I’ve found some of my biggest inspiration through the books I love.

I wrote The Girl Next Door after re-reading The Catcher in the Rye. I was so moved by the relationship between Holden Caulfield and his dead brother, and I wished that I could read a story about them – a prequel.

My subconscious must’ve been especially taken by the idea of using a life-threatening illness as a backdrop for a story, because I woke up the next morning with the words, “Jesse’s dying” in my head. I actually said them out-loud!

Then I said, “Who’s Jesse?”

My subconscious had the answer – and the entire novel, just waiting to be put to paper.

What’s your favorite book? What’s its theme? Today’s writing prompt invites you to think about this, and then write an opening paragraph to a story inspired by that book you love.

I hope you’ll share your results with me. I’ll be looking for yours up until next Wednesday, and I'll post the winner(s) on Friday, May 4. When entering, please tell me the name of the book which inspired your entry.

Hey, you might wind up with a whole novel.

I did!

Enjoy,
Selene

No comments:

Post a Comment